Monday, November 3, 2008

Double the Trick-or-Treat!


My mom made a lion costume for my niece Emma for her first Halloween and then Lorelai used it next, so it's getting passed down to each of her grandchildren. But we had a church "trunk-or-treat" on the 30th; since most of that party would be indoors, I decided to have a different costume for Ethan at the church party and use the lion costume on Halloween.

So for the church party, he was Charlie Brown. I figured I would embrace the fact that my child has pretty much no hair. There is some of it there, but it's bright blonde right now, so you can't see it. It was so hard to find a yellow shirt for him to use, so I ended up cutting the bottom off one of his 0-3 month size yellow onesies and hemmed it and then sewed on the black zig-zag stripe. I didn't want to buy such a small amount of black fabric, so since I'm so short, I cut off a few inches from one of my black pajama pants (and there are still several inches to spare).


All of the pictures I could find of Charlie Brown had him wearing brown shoes with the black shorts -- which sooooo doesn't match -- but we did it anyway. I used my black eyeliner to draw the swirl on top of his head.
For Halloween, we went to my Grandma's house as we've done for as long as I can remember (except when we were old enough to trick-or-treat on our own and wanted to hit a ton more houses (plus we lived in Nebraska then :) so that would have been quite the drive to Grandma's. Michael carried Ethan around to the houses with the other kids. I didn't want to carry him up there cause I knew people would say "I know who this candy is really for" and I didn't want to feel embarrassed. But Michael doesn't embarrass easily, so he didn't mind.

Ethan was quite the trick-or-treater. He never cried and stayed alert and was interested in everything around him the whole time. But it was another story once we were done and got him in his car seat. It was past his bedtime and he let us know it!

3 comments:

Minnette said...

I love both costumes! Charlie Brown that is so cute, I love it!

Kari said...

I can't decide if I like the Charlie Brown or Lion costume better....he looks ADORABLE in both! :)

Emily G said...

Hahaha, I wish I could see his little brown shoes. That is adorable. Great Charlie hair-curlicue, by the way.